Have you ever had to bring your child late to school? A lot can happen in just a few minutes in the classroom! If your child is not present, he/she can miss critical minutes of instruction. This can cause your child to become academically frustrated and not master the skills being taught. Not only can being tardy have an effect on the student academically, but also emotionally and psychologically, as it can cause the child to be embarrassed.
We must instill in our children the importance of punctuality at an early age for they will be expected to be on time for various reasons. Not only is being on time essential to the daily functions of the world, but it also demonstrates respect for others.
Time is constant. We cannot gain nor lose time so we must use it most effectively and efficiently as possible. Please make every effort to have your child on time to school and prepared to succeed.
The following tips may be beneficial to ensure your child is equipped and ready for success in school:
- If you’re on time, then you’re late. People who are on time are people who are early. Make sure your child is early to allow him/her to get settled and be ready for instruction at the sound of the bell. Our instructional day begins at 7:45 a.m. Therefore, students should be in their classrooms and ready to begin work, not walking down the hallway to class.
- Allow yourself more than enough time to reach your destination. Taking this precautionary measure will still allow your child to be on time even if there is a problem (ex. car accident, inclement weather).
- Set your watch/clocks 5-10 minutes fast. This psychological trick will ensure that you’re on time if you’re disciplined enough to go by it.
- Give yourself (and your child) an ample amount of time to get dressed in the mornings. This may mean getting up a little earlier.
- Get enough rest (for students and parents). Everyone is guilty of hitting the snooze button so make sure you get enough rest to be energized for the next day.
Our mission at Doby’s Mill is to provide a learning environment that empowers our students with knowledge and skills to become self-disciplines, responsible, and productive citizens. Ensuring that students are in class before the start of school daily plays a great part in fulfilling our mission. If there are special circumstances that hinder you from getting your child to school on time, please contact the school office at (803) 438-4055. We must work together to make a positive difference in all children’s lives!
In Dolphin Pride,
2013 National School of Character Award - Washington, D.C.
Dolphin Alert -
Fantastic news: Doby's Mill Elementary School received an A on our School Report Card!
Checkout this short podcast for important information concerning changes related to Common Core.
Congratulations to our 2013-2014
Teacher of the Year - Mrs. Amanda Cook!
Congratulations to our 2013-2014
Reading Teacher of the Year - Mrs. Mary Catoe!
Quote of the Month
“Humor is mankind's greatest blessing." ~ Mark Twain
April Faculty Birthdays
2) Debra Wescott; 19) April Dixon
Let us know what you think!
Please email us your comments, concerns, questions, and suggestions about DME through our DME Suggestion Box.
We want to hear from you!
Nuts are an April Foods of the Month and are the perfect size for snacking!
Not only are nuts portable because they are small, but they are also an
excellent snack option because of their nutritional content. Nuts are full of
good fats so they help us feel fuller longer. When we mix nuts with fruit, the
combination is delicious AND nutritious.Here are our
favorite nut and fruit combo snacks. Try one today!
Trail Mix - With dried fruit and nuts, this
snack is an excellent choice for kids and families on-the-go. Simply mix
your favorite nuts and fruit together in a plasic bag, shake, and eat!
Nut, Fruit and Cheese Plate - Have you ever eaten a combo of
nuts, fruit and cheese before? The salty nuts, the sweet fruit, and the savory
cheese is a perfect combination. Try out a nut, fruit and cheese plate of your
own with walnuts, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, and pears. Yum!
Nutty Nachos - these apple “nachos” an an excellent snack or
dessert. Simply slice apples thinly (they are your nacho “chips”) then top with
a drizzle of peanut butter, chopped nuts, and a few dark chocolate chips.
Microwave for 45 seconds and you have yourself a decadent snack. We loved the